Interesting Facts About Steve Smith
Steven Smith is a top-order quality batsman, who plays all three formats for Australia. Smith has created a unique way to bat flawlessly and smash the best bowlers around the world all over the park. He is one of the greatest test batsmen to ever play the game. It’s very hard for the bowlers to get him out, only a miracle ball or his own mistake can get him out. The youngest (25) ever test skipper of Australia has won many matches merely. As today Steve Smith turned 32, let’s talk about some mind-blowing facts about him.
- Steve Smith was born on 2nd June 1989 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. His father’s name is Peter, and his mother’s name is Gillian, a British citizen.
- His nicknames are “Smithy” & “Smudge”.
- Smith played his maiden first-class match for New South Wales against Western Australia in 2008. He scored 33 runs in his only innings he batted. In 136 FC matches, Steve has amassed 12040 runs with an incredible average of 57.06.
- Steve was a member of the 2008 U-19 Australian team. He contributed with 114 runs and 7 wickets in the tournament.
- Steven Smith made his first appearance in international cricket as a leg spinner in 2010 in a T20 match against Pakistan at MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). He returned with 2/34 in his 4 overs spell. So far, Smith has notched up 794 runs in 45 T20I matches he has played.
- Smith finished the 2010 T20 World Cup as the joint 2nd highest wicket-taker, 11 wickets in 7 matches.
- Having made his test debut against Pakistan in 2010 at the iconic Lord’s ground, he grabbed 3 for 51 in the 2nd innings of the match. But with time he has improved his batting like a magic wand. With his weird batting stance, Smith is now the backbone of the Australian batting line-up. Because of his outstanding test batting, he is compared with the legendary “Sir Don Bradman”.
- By completing 7000 runs in just 126 innings, Steve Smith became the fastest to do so in tests in 2019. He broke the record of English batsman Walter Hammond.
- Smith is the only second player after his senior Mathew Hayden to score 1000+ runs for 4 consecutive years (2014-2017). He accomplished the feat in 2017 at Waca, Perth
- Steve Smith’s batting average in tests is 61.80, which is 2nd highest among players who played more than 50 test matches. He is a prize wicket for every bowler in test cricket. Smith has an inexhaustible appetite to score runs. His best shot in cricket is the flick
- The ace batsman of Australia is the only player to win the “ICC Test player of the year” award twice in 2015 & 2017. He accumulated 1474 runs in 13 matches (23 innings) with an impressive average of 73.7 in 2015 and 1305 runs in 11 matches (20 innings) in 2017 with a commendable average of 50.71.
- Mr. Dependable of test cricket, Steve Smith is the 2nd quickest to hit 25 test centuries, he surpassed Sachin Tendulkar to achieve the feat. Sir Don Bradman is the fastest to hit 25 hundreds in test cricket (68 innings).
- Steve Smith has been given the honor of “ICC Test Player of the Decade” (2010-2020). In this time period, Smith amassed 7040 runs in 69 tests, averaging 65.79.
- In 2017, Smith accomplished the 2nd highest rating (947) in ICC Test ranking history. The best test rating ever achieved by any player is Sir Don Bradman, 961.
- Smith has been pretty impressive in the ODI cricket also. He was one of the architects behind Austalia’s 2015 World Cup victory. Steve was the top scorer of his side in the 2015 World Cup with 402 runs in 8 matches. In the same year, his stupendous performance with the bat rewarded him with the “Australian ODI Player of the Year” award.
- Steve Smith holds the record of notching up the joint-most 50+ score in the World Cup knockouts.
- Smith’s consistent batting execution in international cricket assisted him to win the prestigious “Allan Border Medal” three times (2015,2018 & 2021).
- The Famous Cricket magazine “Wisden” named the cricketer of the year in 2015.
- Apart from playing cricket, Smith is fond of watching Tennis. His one of the favorite sportspersons are the Swiss pro player “Roger Federer.
- Steve Smith tied the knot with his Aussie girlfriend Dani Willis in 2018. The news of their wedding took social media by storm.
- Steve Smith has been around controversies a lot. In 2016, Smith asked coaching staff in the dressing room for a DRS review during a test match against India. It created a huge chaos on the field and Indian skipper Virat Kohli called it a “Brain fade” Moment. The Australian skipper was even banned in 2018 for one year by ICC for breaching the Code of ball-tampering in South Africa. Australian players Cameron Bancroft and David Warner used sandpaper to help the bowlers to do reverse swing. Smith confessed in a press conference that he was aware of the planning. For this shameful act, Cricket Australia handed him a 2-years captaincy ban also.
- The modern-day great has led Australia in all three formats. In his 3 years of captaincy (2015-2018), Smith has won 47 matches in 93 matches with a win percentage of 50.53.
- Steve Smith has been a part of five teams in IPL (RCB (2010), Kochi Taskers Kerala (2011), Pune Warriors India (2012-2013), Rajasthan Royals (2013, 2014, 2019 & 2020), Rising Pune Supergiants (2016-17), and Delhi Capitals (2021-present).
- Steve Smith’s jersey number is 49.
- His estimated net worth is $25 million.
Steve Smith’s Career Stats